Hidden vegetable meatloaf
- 1kg lean minced beef
- 2 brown onions, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 3 cups frozen vegetables mix, defrosted and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp powdered beef stock
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups dried breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. The ingredients need to be mixed well – I prefer using clean hands or clean gloves to do this.
Pat the mixture into a loaf shape and place in the loaf tin. Cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine all the glaze ingredients.
Remove the loaf from the oven and tip out any excess oil. Pour the glaze over the loaf and return it to the oven for a further 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- My children hate to see the slightest hint of green veggie in their food. I use the food processor to chop the mixed vegetables up finely so they can’t see them.
- If you don’t have a loaf tin just use a baking tray.
- I use good quality mince for this recipe, but not too lean.
Find related mince recipes
- Bolognaise pasta bake
- Healthy spaghetti bolognaise
- Stuffed jacket potatoes
- Friday takeaway hamburgers recipe
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.