Create an impressive melted crayon artwork
Simple crayons can make beautiful art – and not just by drawing with them! Line up some wax crayons, rainbow-style, blast them with a hairdryer and they’ll melt into a colourful artwork that you can hang on the wall.
What you need:
- Wax crayons – enough to line the length of your canvas
- Artist’s canvas – best to try small first before going too big
- Hot glue gun
- Drop sheet or old newspaper to catch any mess
Number of players:
1. Pick out the colors you want to use and line them up across the top of the canvas.
2. A rainbow colour pattern is made here. Of course you can try this with different color patterns instead of a rainbow.
3. Using a glue gun, squeeze a line of glue across the crayons.
4. Quickly place the crayons on the canvas in a line, as shown below, with tips facing down.
5. Line the floor with a piece of newspaper, place the canvas against a wall, and get your blow dryin’ on.
6. You can start out on high and warm settings and alternate with low at certain points. You may have to experiment a little to see how your hair dryer works with melting the wax. It sometimes splatters a little, so be sure to cover the floor and surrounding wall with newspaper, and turn to a lower setting if needed.
Once the wax starts melting, move the dryer around as needed to prevent splattering and so the wax drips straight down. Voila! Now you have a fun piece of art to hang on your wall.
This craft was created by Belinda Graham, who blogs at The Happy Home Blog.