Magician costume: make a no-sew magician’s cape
Need a magician costume? You've got two options – either buy those cheap nylon capes that everyone has, or make your own unique personalised magician's cape. Just watch this step-by-step video to find out how to make an easy no-sew cape for a magician's costume.
What you need:
- 80cm x 80cm piece of black non-fray fabric (a knit fabric works best)
- A4 piece of red felt (available at most craft shops or Spotlight)
- 1 metre thick red ribbon
- A4 sheet of baking or tracing paper
- Some good craft glue (watch the video for a hot craft tip)
Number of players:
This no sew cape makes making a magician's costume magically easy. Watch this video to see how.
Lay your black fabric out flat. Fold it down about five centimetres along the top. Then cut small snips at 3cm intervals on the fold (but not all the way through to the top edge, the idea is to make little slits to thread the ribbon through).
Thread your ribbon through the slits.
Now you have your basic cape. Let's add a unique magician's moniker (e.g. 'The Amazing Alex').
Sketch out the moniker on the tracing paper.
Lay the tracing paper on the felt.
Pin it roughly so that it stays in place when you cut around it with scissors.
Cut out the letters.
Use a good craft glue to attach the letters onto the back of the cape.
Ta daaaa! Ready to make some magic.
Check out some great magic tricks for your little magician.
- Thanks to our sister company Kidspot Australia for creating the instructional video.