Banana spice muffins
- 2 cups self raising flour (for gluten-free, see notes below)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 cup (light) sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed banana (2 large)
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 12 hole muffin pan or line with paper cases.
Sift flour and spices into a large bowl of an electric mixer.
Add sugar and beat briefly to combine.
In a glass measuring jug, pour in sour cream (up to 1 cup), oil (up to 1 1/3 cups) and add eggs, whisk to combine.
Pour sour cream mix and bananas into dry ingredients, beat with until just combined.
Spoon into muffin pan and bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Cool slightly, then place on rack to cool completely.
Although, a warm muffin sneaked from the tray for ‘testing’ purposes is a perfect cook’s treat!
- I made a gluten-free version using gluten-free flour (Orgran plain [all purpose] flour) and baking powder (Wards).
- Pecans are a great match with these muffins; if your family’s tastes and diets allow, add 1/3 cup chopped pecans to the dry mix and top each muffin with a pecan before putting in the oven.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.