Chorizo and minestrone soup
- 1 medium brown onion, diced small
- 1 medium carrot, diced small
- 1 celery stick, diced small
- 1 large potato, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (approx ¼ cabbage)
- 4 cups water, or stock
- 2 parmesan skins (see Notes, below)
- 1 chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large beef tomato, diced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 400g can kidney beans, drained
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
Turn your slow cooker on HIGH and place the first 12 ingredients into it.
Give a little stir and push the harder vegetables – potato and carrot – to the bottom.
Place the lid on top and cook for 4 ½ hours, occasionally stirring to make sure cabbage is all wilted. Cabbage should be covered in liquid after 2 hours.
Put beans and chopped parsley in and cook for a further 30 minutes
Remove crock from pot, check seasoning and serve.
- The parmesan skins really make the flavour of this great soup. Next time you buy a block of parmesan just keep the ends in glad wrap in the fridge or go to your closest deli and ask if they have extras you can buy.
- I leave the parmesan skins in for added flavour; just make sure you don’t serve them up!
- This soup keeps really well and is yummier the longer it sits.
- When serving, shave extra parmesan on top and a few chilli flakes for mum and dad. If you have pesto in the fridge, a teaspoon of that gives it a different edge.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.