- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp Mexican chilli seasoning (more or less to taste)
- 500g premium mince
- 1 x 400g tin Tomatoes and Roasted Capsicum
- 1 x 400g tin Tomatoes and Paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 1 x 400g tinned red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 bunch coriander, washed and finely chopped
- cooked rice and avocado to serve
In a medium-sized saucepan, over a medium heat, pour in olive oil and gently fry the onion until softened. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika and Mexican chilli seasoning to the pan and cook until fragrant.
Add mince to the pan and brown well. Pour in tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, water, salt and red capsicum.
Bring to the boil then simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir through kidney beans and cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir through coriander, reserving some for garnishing.
- This is a very inexpensive family meal that uses ingredients that are readily available at all times of the year. You can make a pre-mix of the spices to keep in the pantry if you want to serve this meal up regularly.
- Cooking the spices in this dish is important to release the flavours before you add the meat.
- Using ready-made tins of tomatoes and capsicum and tomatoes and tomato paste is a great way to speed a meal up. If you can’t find these combinations, you can replace them with 1 x 800g tin of diced tomatoes and ¾ cup of tomato paste.
- This recipe was created by Charlie Louie for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
More Mexican recipes
- Chicken tacos
- Fish tacos
- Tasty tacos
- Mexican bean bake
- Tortilla stacks
- Chicken tacos
- Nachos with invisible beans
- Chicken, lime and avocado tortillas
- Healthy homemade tacos