Lamb and barley bake
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, white parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1kg diced lamb
- 3 tbsp pearl barley
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) chicken stock
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 125ml (1/2 cup) single cream
Preheat oven to 180C conventional or 160C fan-forced.
Grease an oven-proof casserole dish.
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy-based pan.
Saute leek and onion over a low heat until soft. Set aside.
Add 1 tbsp olive oil to pan. Saute lamb until browned. Set aside.
Saute barley and garlic for 1 minute. Set aside.
Combine leek mixture, lamb, and barley mixture.
Layer base of casserole dish with 1/2 of the potato slices.
Top with leek, lamb and barley mixture.
Top with the rest of the potato slices.
Pour over the stock.
Cover casserole and bake for 2 hours.
Remove from oven.
Sprinkle with thyme and grated cheeses.
Pour cream over the top and bake for an additional 30 minutes, until top is golden.
Serve with a green salad.
Find more dinner recipes
- Beef and glass noodle stirfry
- French omelette
- Easy lamb koftas
- Fettucine alfredo
- Spaghetti with tuna and olives
- Chicken and sweet corn soup
- If you haven’t got thyme, use the same quantity of rosemary instead.
- Substitute the same amount of beef if you fancy a change from the lamb.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.