Here’s what to make when you have leftover pumpkin risotto – arancini balls! Rolling cold risotto into balls, coating in breadcrumbs and then frying gives the most delicious snack, lunch box filler or even another main meal if you serve them up with veggies. Delish!
- 1 quantity Pumpkin and mozzarella risotto, cooled
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 cups vegetable oil
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the risotto, eggs, and 1 cup of the breadcrumbs.
Roll the mixture into small balls around 3cm in diameter. Place the balls onto a large plate and set aside.
Place the other cup of breadcrumbs onto another plate.
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan to medium heat you will know when the oil is ready when you drop a breadcrumb into the oil and it starts frying.
Roll each ball in the breadcrumbs then fry for about 1 minute on each side or until golden.
Remove the balls from the oil onto a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
Serve immediately with a green salad.
- You can serve this with a dipping sauce made from a tomato pasta sauce.
- Some risotto ball (also called Arancini) recipes stuff the centre of the ball with more cheese but I think these are really delicious as is. There is a lot of cheese in the risotto recipe to begin with.
- These make a really special entre for a dinner party as well.
- Make sure the oil doesnt get too hot when you are frying as it will start to burn the breadcrumbs on the outside.
- This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.