Make your own chore magnets
Chore charts and rewards charts are a good way to get kids' routines organised. These DIY chore magnets are an easy way to keep track of the household chores. You can use them straight on the fridge, or make your own magnetic board as below.
What you need:
- 1 x baking tray
- 10 x decorative glass pebbles (about $3 from the Dollar Shop in the homewares section)
- 1 x FREE printable chores sheet (or you can use Clipart graphics from your computer)
- 10 x strong magnets ($3 per pack of 10 from a craft shop)
- hot glue gun or strong craft glue
- 1 x white marker pen or China Marker
Number of players:
To make the magnetic board, use your baking tray and mark it up with the white pen or China Marker (see video).
To make the magnets, you will either need to print out the FREE printable sheet here, or you can source some pictures in Clipart by doing a search under 'household.' If you go online you will find more graphics. Look for simple pictures that depict each chore. Resize them to fit onto your magnets and paste them all into a Word document.
Print them out.
Use a glass pebble to trace an outline around each picture.
Glue each picture to the underside of each glass pebble.
Now glue a magnet to the underside of each picture.
Your chore magnets are now ready to roll.
Hints and tips:
- Thanks to our sister company Kidspot Australia for creating the instructional video.
- The best thing about these chore magnets is that you can just use them straight on the fridge. Draw up a piece of paper with a table for the chores on it, stick it to the fridge and use the magnets to 'tick off' each chore as it is done.