Helpful Tips brought to you by Dettol
Children and babies are natural explorers, using all of their senses (especially touch and taste) to discover the world around them.
Follow our safety and hygiene advice below to help keep your child safe as they explore and play in your home.
Is my home baby proof?
When baby proofing your home, think about each room as your child sees it – from the floor up. Here is a quick guide:
- Secure bookcases, shelves and drawer units to the wall if possible
- Switch off and cover any exposed electrical outlets
- Keep electrical cables out of reach and put unused appliances away
- Cover sharp edges of furniture with a soft material like foam
- Install smoke alarms and check them regularly
- Keep a first aid kit stocked and easily accessible to adults
- Secure your windows and keep blind cords out of reach
- Keep chemicals and medicines out of reach or in locked cupboards
- Clean up any spills immediately and disinfect the area if required
- Program emergency numbers into your phone and leave them visible for others
Keeping floors hygienic
Keeping table tops and work surfaces clean is second nature. But it’s easy to forget that your child’s work surface is the floor.
Regularly clean and disinfect the floors of your home to help provide a healthy environment for your child to play.
Pet safety and hygiene
Having a pet can be rewarding for the whole family. With a few simple house rules you can minimise the chance of germs being passed from your pet to your child.
- Wash your hands after handling pets or their equipment (e.g. feeding bowls, litter tray)
- Keep pets away from food preparation and eating areas
- Clean and disinfect your pets’ equipment regularly
- Ensure pet food is kept out of reach of children