Chocolate banana bread
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- half a cup caster sugar
- half a cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 small ripe bananas, mashed
- 100g (3/4 cup) good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Preheat oven to 180C. Butter a 19 x 11cm loaf tin and line with baking paper.
Cream butter, then beat in sugars until pale and creamy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
Add vanilla, then bananas, chocolate and sifted flour and baking powder.
Mix until just combined.
Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool. Serve in thick slices with butter. Yum.
- Now that you do not need to refinance your home to buy bananas, you probably have school-battered bananas coming home in lunch-boxes or moulding quietly in the fruit bowl, this is a fantastic use for them.
- My child that flatly refuses banana smoothies is more than happy to eat a slice or two of this cake with choc chips.
- I make this bread with my gluten-free flour and baking powder, nobody notices the difference and I get to enjoy it too!
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.