Gnocchi with pesto cream
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 bunch of basil, leaves only
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (250ml) cream
Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add the salt.
Push the mashed potatoes through a sieve into a bowl. Stir eggs through. Add one cup of the flour and mix with a fork. Add enough additional flour to make a moist, but firm, dough.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a ball. Divide ball into 6 pieces.
Roll the pieces into logs and cut into 3cm pieces. Pick up each piece, and press it onto a fork with your thumb, then roll it off.
In a food processor, combine basil, parmesan, lemon juice and pine nuts. Add olive oil in a drizzle until pesto forms. Bring cream to a gentle simmer in a pan. Stir through pesto and remove from heat.
Drop the gnocchi into the boiling water and cook them until they float. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
Serve with pesto sauce, diced tomato and a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts.
Find more pesto recipes
- Basil pesto dip
- Chicken and pesto penne
- Chicken, pesto and tomato penne
- Grilled chicken with pesto
- Pesto and cheese scrolls
- Rocket and basil pesto
- Pesto and parmesan muffins
- Fast Pesto recipe
- Pesto chicken pasta
- Pesto chicken turnovers
- Pesto pasta pronto
- Spaghetti with pesto
- Tomato, risoni and pesto soup
- Don’t over-mix the dough or the gnocchi will become tough.
- The gnocchi can be frozen after boiling. Rinse with cold water, drain and arrange in layers on baking paper in a plastic container and freeze. When needed, pop them frozen into a pot of boiling water and cook as above.
- To toast pine nuts you can dry-fry them in a fry pan over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Make sure you keep turning them so they don't burn.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.