- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 2 large brown onions, sliced
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 x 250g lamb leg steaks
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 8 large potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
Preheat the oven to 200°C or 180° fan-forced.
Place the carrot and onion in the base of a casserole dish and set aside.
In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Toss the lamb in the flour mixture to coat it well.
Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook the lamb for 4 minutes each side. Transfer the lamb to the casserole dish, placing it on top of the carrot and potato.
Pour the stock into the frying pan and cook over medium-low heat to remove all of the flavourful bits (this is called deglazing the pan). Pour the glaze over the lamb, sprinkle with the rosemary and arrange the potato slices over the top.
Cover the casserole dish and cook in the oven for 1 hour. Reduce the heat to 150°C and cook for a further 4 hours.
- If you prefer a thicker gravy, transfer the meat and veg to serving bowls. Add 2 tsp cornflour to 1 cup cold water, stir to combine and pour into the gravy in the casserole dish. Stir over low heat on the cooktop until the mixture thickens.
- To use a slow cooker, prepare as above and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. For a thicker gravy, stir 2 tsp cornflour into 1 cup cold water and add to the slow cooker 40 minutes before serving.
- To use a pressure cooker, prepare as above and cook for 45 minutes.
- You can increase the vegetable content in this recipe by adding parsnips and swedes.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find more dinner recipes
- Beef and glass noodle stirfry
- French omelette
- Easy lamb koftas
- Fettucine alfredo
- Spaghetti with tuna and tomatoes
- Chicken and sweet corn soup
- Chicken wraps
- Fish curry
- Steak sandwich
- Gnocchi with tomato and basil
- Fast ziti recipe
- Penne with ricotta, spinach and cherry tomatoes