When winter is grinding you down, your local Westfield centre is your winter sanctuary. It’s always bright, dry and warm, brimming with the fashion, food and entertainment to make the most of the New Zealand winter.
Winter is the trickiest of all the seasons for keeping the family entertained. With the temperamental weather, the backyard out of action, and shorter, colder darker days, life just feels that much harder with a family going stir crazy!
Don’t endure winter, enjoy it!
In winter we search for sanctuary. In the mornings we stay under the covers just that little bit longer. We layer up on our clothes so we can bring the sweet solace of warmth with us when we leave the house.
This season, Westfield is the ultimate place to find your winter sanctuary. Need a cure for cabin fever? Westfield has you covered. Check out all the ways you can spend a fantastic family day out indoors and escape the dreariness of winter.
Catch a movie
What better way to spend a wet and dreary day than being entertained with the latest blockbuster whilst snug and cosy! Every Westfield boasts a fantastic modern cinema complex with all the latest releases. Huge screens, amazing sound, comfy chairs, delicious food and beverages, plus the obligatory munchable popcorn – what more could you want?
Pick of the family movies this winter will be The Secret Life of Pets 2. Max, Snowball, Gidget and all their friends are back for another adventure that’s sure to entertain the whole family.
Win a family holiday!
You could also win a fantastic family adventure of your own to experience the new ‘The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!’ ride at Universal Studios Hollywood! Just spend $20 or more at any Westfield centre in New Zealand between 10th and 30th June 2019 and enter to go in to the draw to win this amazing family holiday. (Terms and conditions apply).
Whether you’re wanting a quick snack to keep the kids from getting ‘hangry’, a coffee catch-up with a friend, or a family meal before a movie, Westfield has a range of dining options. From cafes and sushi bars, to global cuisine and burger joints, there’s something for every tastebud. Here’s our tasty picks:
- No one does comfort food quite like the Italians so head to Westfield Riccarton where you can choose from a huge range of pizzas, traditional pasta dishes and Italian classics at La Porchetta. It’s the perfect spot for a family celebration.
- For that warming homemade taste, Yorkshire Roasts at Westfield Albany and St Lukes offers a choice of roast meats, veggies, and of course, lashings of gravy.
- If you’re looking for a sweet treat, grab a shake or ice cream at Shake Shed & Co at Westfield St Lukes, Manukau, and Albany. Or, if you’re in the mood for something hot, their hot dogs are perfect for a quick bite. They also create amazing ice cream cakes!
- For the ultimate in winter warmers, Mumbai Express at Westfield Manukau dishes up all your Indian cuisine favourites and exciting Mumbai street food options.
- For a tasty meal that the kids will love (even though there’s healthy stuff in there!), try the Japanese Donburi bowls at Katsubi – available at all Westfield centres.
Need a break? Head to the free Kids Play Area in any Westfield and let the little ones loose while you relax. The kids will love the colourful, interactive activities. Age restrictions apply and children must be supervised at all times.
Westfield Albany: There are two fantastic Kids Play Areas at Westfield Albany. Discovery Island is on Level 1 near Stirling Sports. There’s also a new play area on Level 2 outside New World for kids under 5 years.
Westfield Manukau: Discover the Kids Play Area unique to Westfield Manukau, located next to Muffin Break. This play area is for kids under 5 years.
Westfield St Lukes: Head to Level 2 near the Customer Service Desk to find the preschoolers Kids Play Area. Westfield St Lukes also has a Shopper’s Crèche who can take care of the kids for a couple of hours while you shop in peace. The Crèche is on Level 2 opposite Muffin Break.
Westfield Riccarton: Entertain the kids during a break in shopping at the Kids Play Area on Level 2 (near Bed Bath N’Table). All children are welcome.
When shopping with the kids add some fun (and reduce the exasperation!) by hiring a Kidde Kruzzer. In single or double seater options, they are the ultimate way to travel – keeping the kids happy and saving those tired little legs. Enquire at the Customer Service Desk for availability and rates.
Monty Mornings with LEGO® DUPLO®
Looking for a fun outing for your parents’ coffee group? Monty Mornigs are all about stress-free fun. Monty the Monkey will entertain your under fives with colouring, crafts and stories while you enjoy a free coffee. Plus, the kids can play with thousands of LEGO® DUPLO® bricks!
You can join the Monty Mornings fun at Westfield Manukau at centre court on the ground level or at Westfield St Lukes in the food court on Level 1. Terms and conditions apply. See in-centre for dates and more details.
Shop till you drop
Of course, Westfield is also the home of great shopping. You will find all the best brands and well-known stores that will really get you in the mood for some retail therapy. Enjoy winter and add an extra level of comfort and cosiness to your home with winter warmer ideas from these Westfield stores.
- Cotton On Kids has a delightful range of kids clothing with styles that will brighten even the dullest of days. We love this Penelope Long Sleeve Tee with a cool rainbow print. You will find Cotton On stores in every Westfield centre.
- Snuggle into this textured Lattice Throw by Morgan & Finch available at Bed Bath N’ Table and enjoy those cold winter nights. And don’t miss their flannelette bedlinen for cosy bedtimes – currently 50% off! Shop at Westfield Albany, St Lukes, and Riccarton.
- JB Hi-Fi make indoor entertainment easy this winter with new release DVDs, Blu-Ray, music and video games. Shop at Westfield Albany, Manukau, and Riccarton.
- Brighten your home or treat someone to a slice of Kiwiana with homewares, clothing, art, jewellery, souvenirs and more from New Zealand The Gift at Westfield St Lukes. Spend $60 instore before 30th June 2019 and receive a free winter beanie! (Terms and conditions apply).
- Heading outdoors? Kathmandu at Westfield St Lukes are your go-to store for quality high-performance jackets, rainwear, snow gear and more.
- When the winter ills and chills take their toll, Health 2000 has a range of natural health products to give the family an immunity boost. See them in-store at Westfield Albany, St Lukes, and Riccarton.
- If the winter weather just all becomes too much, then head to Flight Centre and book that family holiday to sunnier climes! Flight Centre stores are in every Westfield centre.
Written by Julie Scanlon for Westfield
Julie is Editor for Kidspot NZ and our MVP. Her hobbies include laughing uncontrollably at her own jokes, annoying her family by asking questions about movie plots, and never taking anything too seriously. She speaks a little Spanish and a lot of Yorkshire.
Favourite motto to live by: “It ain’t nothing but a thing”