Creamy tuna, pea and capsicum pasta
- 500g pasta, any shape
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 425g tin tuna in spring water
- 1/3 cup roasted capsicum pieces in oil, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cream
- half a teaspoon salt
- 50g parmesan or mozzarella cheese, finely grated
Bring a large saucepan of water with 1 teaspoon salt to a rolling boil.
Cook pasta according to packet directions, drain and set aside.
Bring a medium-sized saucepan to low to medium heat. Add oil and sautÌ© garlic for a minute without browning, add capsicum and tomato and cook until tomato is soft, about 3 minutes.
Stir in cream and peas and allow to simmer for 3 minutes until the flavours are infused and peas are warmed through.
Stir in tuna and toss together with pasta.
Serve immediately with cheese.
- You can make this dish with fresh tuna if you are feeling like something a little more special.
- I chose an alphabet pasta which can make a dish like this more fun for your kids.
- With the capsicum slice them up, remove the seeds, drizzle in oil and place under the grill until they are soft. Place them in a plastic bag, tie it shut, and let them cool. Once they are cool, peel off the skins and place them in a takeaway container. Cover them in oil, and keep them in the fridge for salads, sandwiches and pasta sauces . They are also great blended with mayonnaise or sour cream.
- This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New Zealands best recipe finder.