Simple pumpkin soup
- 1 butternut pumpkin, peeled de-seeded and cubed
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp chicken flavoured stock cubes
- Salt and pepper
Heat oil in a pan and fry all vegetables until golden.
Add 2 litres of boiling water to the pan and stir in stock cubes.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until all vegetables are soft.
Using a stick mixer liquefy all the soup until its nice and smooth.
Taste and season with salt and pepper accordingly.
- This is a simple but tasty recipe that even the children can have a go at and still get a good result.
- I fry the vegetables first as it is a great way to deepen the flavour by activating the natural sugars.
- You can experiment with this recipe by adding different flavours such as a red curry paste for a Thai flavour.
- I prefer to just serve it with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh chives alongside some crusty bread.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder