There are lots of ways that parenting can fill your life with beautiful moments. Beyond your little one’s big moments of first smile, first word, and first poonami (!) there are also those little things that can actually be a big deal – like finding a great fitting nappy!
Parents talk about finding the perfect nappy like they’ve won the lottery – probably because that’s how it feels when you find one that fits right, keeps your little one dry and comfortable, and doesn’t cost a fortune.
Tips for finding the perfect nappy fit
Finding the perfect nappy will usually require some trial and error. Although most disposable nappies look similar, the materials used, the design, the absorbency, and the features do vary. The nappy that is recommended by your friend as being amazing may not fit right on your bub, may irritate their delicate skin, or may leak constantly.
Cute designs are adorable but there’s nothing adorable about constantly cleaning up leaks so choose function over aesthetics to keep your sanity!
Remember that no two babies are the same. Use the weight range on the nappies to guide you but as babies come in all shapes and sizes you may find that a size up or down is a better fit for your bub. Buy a small pack (or try one from a friend) before you commit to purchasing a bulk pack in the right size.
Getting the perfect fit:
- Ensure that you open out the nappy fully before use.
- Once on, the nappy should look symmetrical and not shift around during movement.
- Grip tabs should align equally and not need to be overstretched.
- The waistband should be stretchy and snug (but not tight) and sit just under the tummy button.
- The leg cuffs should fit neatly around baby’s legs. Once the nappy is on be sure to run your finger around the cuffs to ensure they are not too tight and that they aren’t tucked up (to avoid leaks!).
- When taking the nappy off there shouldn’t be any red marks around the waist or legs or it may be time to move up a size.
- If the nappy seems to regularly fill up quickly it may also be time to move up a size.
Occasional leaks do happen, even in the most perfectly fitting nappy. And yes, poonamis are almost impossible to contain, so always keep a change of clothes handy.
Need to stock up on nappies? Look out for Little One’s at Countdown!
Now parents looking for the perfect nappy fit have a new option. Exclusive to Countdown, Little One’s nappies feature a Fit Indicator that helps you to put on the nappy evenly for a secure and comfortable fit. Simply pull the side tabs to the line that best fits your little one. Once the side tabs reach line 3 it’s time to move up to the next size in Little One’s Nappies.
Little One’s nappies are big on quality but low on price. Look out for the cute dots on the packs next time you’re in your local Countdown or online at countdown.co.nz/littleones.
Little One’s are available in a range of sizes from newborn and up
Written by Julie Scanlon for Countdown Little One’s
Julie is Editor for Kidspot NZ and our MVP. Her hobbies include laughing uncontrollably at her own jokes, annoying her family by asking questions about movie plots, and never taking anything too seriously. She speaks a little Spanish and a lot of Yorkshire.
Favourite motto to live by: “It ain’t nothing but a thing”