No one knows your baby better than you, but in those early days of caring for a newborn some friendly, parent-tested advice sure does help! We asked New Zealand families what their top tip would be for making the days easier with a newborn and here’s our pick of the best.
Tips to make life easier with a newborn
- If you’re planning to breastfeed, make and freeze lactation cookies prior to the birth. (Hollie L)
- Prepare and freeze lots of meals before they’re born to take away some of the stress of trying to prepare dinner during the witching hour. (Marina R)
- Take any help you are offered and don’t sweat the small stuff like cleaning. (Sarah G)
- Do as much preparation the night before as possible – lunchboxes, have clothes/uniforms all ready so you start your day ahead. (Joanna M)
- Have nappies in trial amounts from multiple brands so you can see which ones fit best. (Nicola B)
- Make sure you have time out for yourself. Make sure you get a part of the day to relax and do something nice for yourself. (Mark V)
- Freeze leftover dinner servings as quick lunches – I found lunches the hardest to prepare with a newborn! (Carly C)
- Newborns are used to being in a noisy womb, music will help them relax. (Lorraine P)
- Ask for help when you are feeling out of your depth. You are not the only person to feel this way and people are always willing to help. (Melanie N)
- Direct sunlight is a great natural stain remover. (Marie L)
- Keep healthy snacks and water nearby when feeding your newborn. (Suzanne S)
- Just go with the flow, make a plan then let it go if you need to. (Sarah B)
- For parents with one or more toddlers and a newborn, have a busy box for the toddler(s) which comes out during feeding times with the newborn. Fill the busy box with fun little activities for the toddler so they don’t feel the need to get upset for your attention whilst you’re handling baby. (Aimme V)
- Just enjoy! Embrace that tiredness and love your messy house! Who cares about your giant washing pile overflowing off the couch and those stacks of dirty dishes in the kitchen!
Cuddle and snuggle that little bundle because before you knwo it they won’t be a newborn anymore. (Dee D)
- Don’t freak out if baby is different to how they tell you in books, because each bubs is different! (Joanna-Marie V)
Nominate and win!
For more tips and for the chance to nominate a deserving parent to win 1 of 3 amazing home help prize packages, click on over to our Facebook page now. Each prize includes:
* 5 nights of meal deliveries from My Food Bag
* An early Spring Clean
* 6 months supply of new Cold Power Sensitive Pure Clean
Entries close 31st July 2018. Terms and conditions apply.
Read more on Kidspot: