First, let’s start by saying that we love hips. They’re sexy and womanly, and you shouldn’t feel like you need to hide them. But if there’s some reason that you want to minimise the appearance of your hips, we’ve got some tricky fashion fixes that will help to slim them without dieting…
Tricking the eye
- Everyone knows that black is slimming, but just incase you’ve forgotten – wear skirts in darker colours that absorb light and make you look trimmer.
- Detail-free A-line skirts are best as they will skim your shape and flatter your upper body.
- A slim-fitting v-neck top with a fuller skirt will take some attention off your hips, or if you want to hide your stomach and show off your legs, opt for a shorter skirt and a loose shirt.
- Try wearing off-the-shoulder tops – they draw the eye upward, and balance your shoulder line.
- When it comes to jeans, remember the smaller the pocket, the better your bum will look.
- When choosing pants or skirts, go for hip-minimising vertical details like pinstripes.
- Wear bright colour tops to draw the attention away from your hips.
- Wearing wide-legged or boot-leg pants can help trick the eye and lengthen the leg.
- Make your jackets either waist- or skirt length – anywhere in between will make you bottom heavy.
- Try straightening your hair – seriously, it can also make you appear slimmer.
What NOT to do
- Don’t wear anything too flimsy – it will show up every lump and bump.
- Steer clear of Lycra, clingy knits and shiny fabrics (like satin) that can make hips look larger.
- Don’t even think about wearing oversized clothes – you might think they’ll hide bits but they actually make you appear bigger than you are.
- Avoid low-waist skirts, pockets, plaid and pleats – they invite the eye to where you want it least.
- Stay away from fussy prints as they can add size – instead wear monochromatic colours from top to toe.
Hip accessory tips
- Try not to wear belts – unless they match your pants.
- Invest in necklaces and earrings (wear one at a time) to draw the eye upward – and make your neck appear longer
- Wear high heels (or wedges) rather than flats. The higher the heel, the taller and slimmer you’ll look.
Choose swimsuits made of matte fabric – shiny fabrics tend to catch the light in all the wrong places and can magnify any bulges. Try a bikini with a bandeau to widen the bust or a padded bra top to build it up. Team with high-cut bikini bottoms to slim the hips and thighs – and avoid shorts or wide-leg styles.
Wear what you like – and what makes you feel good!