Caramel coconut creamed rice
- 1/2 cup (90g) arborio rice
- 1/3 cup (65g) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500ml) full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup (250ml) full cream regular milk
- 2 egg yolks
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
Place all ingredients, except for the egg yolks, in a medium sized saucepan over low heat, whisk to combine.
Increase heat to medium, to allow the mixture to come to a gentle bubble. Then turn down to low again and simmer for 5 minutes, or until mixture has thickened.
Remove from heat and to cool for 20 minutes, then quickly whisk through the egg yolks.
Transfer to a 20cm x 20cm square baking dish, and bake for 40 minutes, or until a gooey caramel top forms. Serve immediately.
- Using dark brown sugar, instead of white, gives this pudding a golden caramel appearance rather than the usual creamy white rice pudding look. So don't be concerned about the colour – it's all good!
- You can serve this just as it is, or with a cheeky dollop of vanilla ice cream or perhaps with some poached fruits.
- If you love a warm dessert, you must try this mouth-watering self-saucing Butterscotch pudding. It truly is heavenly.
- These crunchy Pineapple fritters are the perfect dessert whatever the season. Best served warm with a dollop of ice cream.
- Say hello to an easy-peasy, crowd pleasing dessert with this Caramel peach crumble.
- Looking for a dessert with a unique twist? Try this Pan-fried banana and Nutella sandwich. Guaranteed to knock your socks off!
- If you prefer your desserts a little more traditional, then these Mini apple pies are just the thing.
- Decadent desserts don't come more impressive than this Chocolate lava cake. Just poke your spoon into the middle and wait for the chocolate river to flow!
- These Portuguese custard tarts are just like the ones you buy in the shops … only better! Eat them warm for ultimate enjoyment.
- This Apple meringue pie is a refreshing twist on a regular Lemon meringue pie – both are capable of taking you straight to dessert heaven!
- You'll never look back once you've tried this Chocolate bread and butter pudding. It's a luscious warm dessert that neither you, nor the kids, will ever tire of.
- This recipe was created by Katie Rainbird for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Katie at Katie180.