Healthy chilli con carne
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 10ml (2 tsp) olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g extra lean beef mince
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tin (400g) lentils
- 1 tin (420g) red kidney beans
- 1 tin (400g) tomato puree
- 250ml (1 cup) beef stock
- 180ml (3/4 cup) water
- coriander for garnish
- 1 lime
- 1 red chilli or sprinkle of chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 cup salsa
Place onion, celery and carrot into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
Heat a non-stick frying pan with olive oil on a low-medium heat and add vegetables and crushed garlic.
Cook for 3-5 minutes until softened. Add mince and brown.
Add cumin, paprika, lentils, kidney beans, tomato puree, stock and water.
Bring to the boil, season to taste.
Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring every now and then to make sure the mixture doesn’t catch on the bottom.
Serve in bowls with some coriander, a spritz of lime juice, sprinkling of chilli (if using), salsa and a big green salad.
Find related healthy dinner recipes
- Fish in foil
- Pan-fried lamb salad
- Vietnamese rice paper rolls
- Turkey and mango parcels
- Spring lamb with dukkah yoghurt
- Vegetable tagine with couscous
- Healthy roast lamb
- Beer can chicken
- Tom yum soup
- Chicken in Oyster sauce stirfry
- If your pan isn’t a large one, you may want to remove the vegetables to brown the mince and then return them before adding the remaining ingredients.
- You may want to skip the chilli if serving this to children.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.