An all-time favourite sweet and indulgent slice, with a sticky salted caramel centre sandwiched between a buttery biscuit base and a rich chocolate coating
No added sugar, diabetic friendly, Source Fibre, Source Protein
For the biscuit base
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour sifted
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup Lakanto Monkfruit Classic Sweetener
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter diced
- 2 tbsp sugar free maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
For the condensed milk
- 4 cups full fat milk
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup Lakanto Monkfruit Golden Sweetener
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp cornflour
For the chocolate topping
- 1 cup sugar free chocolate
- 1/2 cup copha vegetable shortening
- Combine the milk, cream and sweetener in a heavy bottomed pan. Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil (do not over boil or it will split). Reduce heat to low, then continue reducing the liquid until it halves in volume. This will take approx. 20 – 30 minutes.
- Add the cornflour and salt, to taste, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Allow to cool. Cover with cling film and refrigerate.
To make the base
- Preheat oven to 170ºC.
- Combine flour, oats, sweetener and coconut in a large bowl and stir.
- In a small saucepan place the maple syrup and butter and stir over low heat until the butter has fully melted. Mix the bicarb soda with 1 ½ tablespoons water and add to the maple syrup mixture. It will bubble whilst you are stirring together, so remove from the heat.
- Pour into the dry ingredients and mix together until fully combined. Press the mixture on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper, make the height no higher than 10mm (1cm)
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown and allow to cool.
- To finish, pour the hot condensed milk over the biscuit base and bake for 10 minutes, allow to cool until set.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in a small saucepan over a medium-low heat, stirring until smooth and combined.
- Once the rest of the slice is set, pour the chocolate over the top.
- Allow to cool in the refrigerator before slicing into 18 pieces and serving.
Nutritional information per serve: 443 calories, 7.6g protein, 35.1g fat (25.5g saturated), 35.8g carbohydrates (4.2g Natural sugar). Dietary Fibre 5.8g