Macadamia crusted chicken
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 egg whites
- 30g macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp roughly chopped thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 small skinless chicken breasts fillets, cut in half horizontally
- lemon wedges and mixed leaf salad, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C). Spray a baking tray with vegetable oil.
Beat the egg whites in a small bowl.
Place the macadamia nuts, garlic, thyme, parsley, lemon zest and breadcrumbs in a food processor or blender and pulse to combine. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Transfer the mixture to a flat plate.
Dip one side of a chicken breast fillet into the egg white then press the same side into the macadamia and breadcrumb mixture until well coated. Place the coated chicken crumb side up on the baking tray and repeat with the remaining chicken.
Cook the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes.
Remove the cooked chicken from the oven, cover the tray lightly with foil and let teh chicken rest for 5 minutes.
Serve with lemon wedges and a mixed leaf salad.
- This crust would also be lovely with fish.
- If you don’t have panko breadcrumbs, regular breadcrumbs will give a less crunchy but equally delicious result.
- You can use almonds, pistachios or pine nuts in place of the macadamia nuts.
- 1199kJ (285.5cals); 13g total fat (3.2g saturated fat) per 120g chicken breast per person serve.
- Recipe written by Jay Rogers from The Moodie Foodie. You can follow The Moodie Foodie on Facebook, Twitter or even Pinterest.