Mix ‘n’ match muffins
- 2 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125 g butter (melted, cooled)
- 1 unit egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 medium banana (ripe, mashed)
- 1/2 cup mixed berries
Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan-forced), and grease and line a 12-hole muffin tin.
Sift spelt flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add coconut sugar, desiccated coconut and cinnamon and mix well.
In another bowl add butter, egg, milk and vanilla essence and stir well.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, then add the banana and stir until mixed through. Make sure not to over stir (if mixture appears a little dry you can always add another egg or a bit more milk).
Spoon half the banana mixture into half of the muffin holes, filling the holes to 3/4 full. Add your berries to the remaining mixture and gently stir through, then spoon this berry mixture into the remaining muffin holes.
Sprinkle all the muffins with desiccated coconut and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
Find more muffin recipes:
- Choc chip muffins
- Cinnamon muffins
- Quick muffins
- Potato and bacon muffins
- Invisible apple muffins
- Raspberry muffins
- Oat, date and honey muffins
- For a different but delicious flavour, substitute the milk with natural yoghurt.
- Use whichever kind of berries you like! Add a full cup of berries if you're using them throughout the whole mixture (rather than just half).
- Try adding dark chocolate chips to the plain banana, or even try just raspberries and/or strawberries to make those flavours dominate. Increase the amount of cinnamon or coconut to your taste.
- Use whatever ingredients or flavours you or your little ones enjoy – you can even add personalised toppings at the end.
- These muffins are perfect for the lunch box!
- This recipe was created by Brenda Janschek for Kidspot.