Gluten-free (see note below), nut-free
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250mL) milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
Sift flour and salt, add sugar, drop unbeaten egg into the middle of the bowl and stir.
Slowly add enough milk to make a thick batter. Beat well until smooth.
Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat, melt ½ teaspoon butter and drop heaped tablespoonfuls of mixture into the pan.
I cooked about 5 at a time. When bubbles appear on the surface, turn the pikelets (muttering and cursing and chasing them all over the pan) and allow to brown on the second side.
Transfer pikelets onto a plate and cover with a cloth while you finish cooking the remainder.
- Easy to pack in lunchboxes because you don’t need to do anything else to them. Handy for afternoon tea, too.
- I also make these for breakfast (on those infrequent ‘perfect’ mornings) as a change to regulation weet-bix or toast.
- It can be a bit tricky getting the temperature right, I prefer to cook at a lower heat and potter round the kitchen doing other things while they cook slowly.