Surprise chicken balls
- 500gm chicken mince
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp oregano, chopped
- flour for rolling
- 3 rounds of mini Babybel® cheese, cut into quarters
- vegetable oil for pan frying
Combine all ingredients except cheese and oil in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions. Take a quarter of the cheese and encase completely with a portion of the mince. Roll into a ball and then into the flour, tapping off any excess.
Repeat with remaining cheese quarters.
Put the oil into the frypan and heat on medium heat. Carefully place the six of the meatballs into the pan and fry until golden – this will generally take about 3 minutes each side.
Remove from pan and drain excess oil on kitchen paper before serving immediately with a fresh salad.
Find more after school snacks
- Buttermilk scones
- Cheese and bacon scones
- Cheesy scones
- Choc chip scones
- Date scones
- Lemonade scones
- Finger buns
- Hot cross buns
- Corn pikelets
- Gluten-free pikelets
- Pikelets with chocolate sauce
- Veggie pikelets
- Cinnamon tea cake
- The pan is hot enough when you throw in a little flour and it immediately bubbles gently on contact with the oil.
- Let your kids help you and get them to roll the balls, they will enjoy learning to cook with you.
- This recipe was written by Maxabella loves for Kidspot, New Zealand best recipe finder.