Age to start:
Children can begin to participate in T-Ball from the age of 5 years. T- Ball is a modified version of the game aimed at introducing children to basic skills and principles of baseball.
Rules of the game:
The basic rules of baseball are;
- The game is played between two teams consisting of nine players on each time.
- The object of the game is to score more runs than the opposing team.
- A batter tries to hit the ball and then run around the bases. Once the batter runs around the bases and makes it back to home plate they have scored a run.
- A fielding team tries to get the batter out before they reach home plate. A fielding team dismisses the batting team once they have got three of their batters out. It is then their turn to bat.
- The field consists of three bases and a home plate laid out in a diamond formation.
Baseball is an excellent activity for both boys and girls. Children can equally participate in T-Ball and junior baseball. They can play together but can also compete separately if desired. Baseball is a non contact sport so the risk of serious injury is low.
Sign up dates:
Contact your local club for sign up details for their summer season. There are clubs in:
- Bayside / Westhaven
- Howick / Pakuranga
- Te Atatu
- Central Auckland and North Shore
- And more
Sign up periods begin usually in September. For specific dates and times contact your local baseball club.
In order to successfully participate in baseball you require;
- A sound level of fitness
- Excellent hand/eye coordination
- Good ball skills, in particular throwing and catching
- The ability to work well in a team environment