Brought to you by
Having a garden at home is a great way to encourage healthy eating habits and teach kids about the environment. If you’re looking to live a little more sustainably, we’ve put together some great ideas to get you started – including recipes that you can create using your homegrown fruits and vegetables.
In the garden
View this post on Instagram
Grow your own ingredients
Growing your own fruits is a great way to whip up a variety of fresh recipes. Fruits we grow in our own homes are:
- In the ground: strawberries
- Dwarf trees: lemons, limes, peaches, nectarines
- Fruit trees: mandarins, feijoas, apples, grapefruit
- On the vine: grapes, passionfruits
These seasonal fruits provide year round flavours and are great for creating easy snacks for the lunchbox – fruit kebabs anyone?
One of our favourite things to make is a smoothie, handy for a quick before-school breakfast. Below are the ingredients to one of our go-to recipes. Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until combined. Serve in a glass as a drink or if you make a thicker smoothie, serve in a bowl with muesli and fresh fruit chopped on top to create a nutritious smoothie bowl.
- Diced homegrown strawberries (1/2 cup)
- Dole banana (1 cup)
- Your preferred milk (1 – 2 cups depending on pref. consistency)
- A drizzle of honey
Growing to eat