Pulled pork buns
- 1.5 kg pork shoulder, remove any skin or extra fat
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 1 green capsicum, sliced
- 1 cup thick bbq sauce (check gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 6-8 big buns (use gluten-free)
Cut each shoulder piece into three, sprinkle with a little salt and place in slow cooker.
Combine remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and stir.
Pour half the mixture around the pork on the bottom of slow cooker and the other half over the top of the meat.
Cover with the lid, turn on to LOW and cook for 10 hours.
Remove meat from cooker, pour sauce into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Boil for 8 minutes.
While the sauce is boiling, grab two forks and shred the pork – it will separate easily.
When finished, take sauce from the stove, add shredded meat and stir to combine.
Fill big buns with pulled pork and serve with coleslaw, either with the meat on the bun or on the side.
- I found I needed the whole 10 hours to make the meat really tender; I also turned the meat at the 3 hour mark to make sure it was all covered.
- This recipe does make a lot so, if you’re a small family, you may choose to freeze portions and defrost them when necessary.
- Pulled pork is a great party food; it’s very cheap to make and will feed a lot of people quickly.
- I used a Chinese BBQ sauce I had in the cupboard, but a homemade sauce would be even better. Great Southern cookin’!
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.