Quick-ish spinach and ricotta cannelloni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150g baby spinach or English spinach leaves
- 500g low fat ricotta
- 60g parmesan, grated
- 4 fresh lasagne sheets (gluten-free)
- 2 cups tomato passata or tomato paste
Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 1 minute. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in spinach and cook until the spinach has wilted. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Place spinach mixture in a food processor and process to combine. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; add ricotta and half the parmesan. Season with salt and pepper (optional).
Cut lasagne sheets in half crossways. Spread 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture along the centre of each piece. Roll up to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining ricotta mixture and lasagne sheets.
Spread one-third of the passata over the base of a large ovenproof dish. Arrange pasta tubes, seam side down, over sauce. Spread with remaining sauce and parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until pasta is cooked and top golden brown.
- These are fun to make – the kids will love to help you spread the mixture on the lasagne sheets and roll up.
- They are a little messy to serve, so if you have fussy diners or are entertaining, use a two-spatula method to get them neatly onto plates.
- For gluten-free me, I reserved some filling and stirred it through some gluten-free penne. Very yummy. I couldn’t be bothered precooking gluten-free lasagne sheets, but maybe you can!
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.