- 500g of mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 sponge flan or sponge cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 and a half cups water
- 300mL thin cream
- half a cup caster sugar, extra
- Zest of 1 orange, finely chopped
Place berries in a saucepan with sugar and enough water to cover berries. Stir until sugar dissolves then bring to the boil (this will take 5 minutes or so if the berries were frozen). Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Allow berry syrup to cool.
Strain syrup into a jug and reserve berries.
Whip cream with extra caster sugar until thick, then fold in orange zest.
Pour syrup, quarter of a cup at a time over the flan until sponge is soaked with syrup; you will have some syrup left over. Place berries on top. Serve with extra syrup and orange cream.
- This is an easy version of Summer pudding. My husband was a little concerned that the flan was soggy, until I pointed out that it was meant to be like that, then he was very impressed with the flavours. Rolls eyes.
- Use leftover syrup with pancakes or add some gelatine to make jelly.
Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.