Veal, feta and spinach involtini
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 400g tins tomatoes
- 4 veal escalopes (ask your butcher to pound them down to a nice thin width)
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1 cup cooked and chopped spinach
- 1 1/2 cups feta, crumbled
- 40g butter
- parsley, to serve
To make the sauce, in a saucepan, heat the oil over a medium heat and cook the garlic until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the tomatoes, reduce heat to low and simmer foråÊ10 minutes. Set aside.
Meanwhile prepare the meat. First preheat the oven to 180å¡C or 160å¡C fan-forced. Lay each piece of veal flat on a work surface, layer with a piece of prosciutto each, then a little spinach and then the feta. Roll up and secure with a small kebab skewer or toothpick.
Melt the butter in a saucepan on high heat. Once frothy, brown the veal wraps in batches until nice and golden on each side. Place these in a baking tray; pour over the tomato sauce, dot with extra feta, cover tightly with foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Involtini is the Italian term for wrapped bundles and you can use your imagination to wrap any meat in the same way. I think chicken would be great instead of the veal in this dish too.
- If you are not a feta cheese fan, you can swap the feta for an equal amount of mozzarella cheese and it will give you a nice golden top.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder. åÊYou can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.