Age to start:
Children can begin playing softball from the age of 5. Children can participate in various modified versions of softball. Different associations may call their modified versions of softball different names.
Find more here.
Rules of the game:
The basic rules of softball are;
- A game is played between two teams consisting of 9 players on each team.
- The object of the game is to score more runs than the opposing team.
- The game is played on a diamond shape field consisting of a home plate and three bases.
- A batter tries to hit the ball and then run around the bases. Once the batter runs around the bases and makes it back to home plate they have scored a run.
- A fielding team tries to get the batter out before they reach home plate. A fielding team dismisses the batting team once they have got three of their batters out. It is then their turn to bat.
Softball is a game suitable for both boys and girls. Children can begin to participate in softball at an introductory level from the age of 5.
Softball is a fun way for children to develop basic motor skills in a team environment. It is a non-contact sport so the risk of injury is low. Softball is a great way for children to experience working in a team environment.
Sign up dates:
Softball is a game that is traditionally a summer sport. Typically children can sign up to play softball in late August and early September. Contact your local softball club for specific information regarding their registration process. Even if the season has commenced it is recommended that you contact your club to enquire as to whether there are any places available for your child.
In order to successfully participate in softball you require;
- A sound level of fitness
- Excellent hand/eye coordination
- Good ball skills, in particular throwing and catching