Carrot cupcakes with lemon frosting
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tsp bottled ginger
- 50g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 125g cream cheese
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced.
Steam or boil the carrots until soft. Mash with 1 tbsp orange juice and 2 tsp minced ginger.
Beat butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, beating one at a time.
Add vanilla extract, skim milk and carrots. Beat together until combined.
With a wooden spoon, gently mix in flour.
Spoon mixture into a cupcake tray lined with patty cases.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden. Cool on wire racks.
To make lemon frosting, mix together cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon juice.
Top each cupcake with a generous swirl of frosting.
- This cute cupcake version of carrot cake has a tasty twist of ginger.
- Mashing the steamed carrots into a smooth puree means not even the most suspicious of kids will spot the veggies.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand.
Find related cupcake recipes
- Basic cupcakes
- Chocolate coca-cola cupcakes
- Creamy raspberry filled cupcakes
- Egg-free yoghurt cupcakes
- Fruity lemon cupcakes
- Hummingbird cupcakes
- Jam doughnut cupcakes
- Quick Chocolate cupcakes
- Red velvet cupcakes
- Vanilla cupcakes
- Cookie monster cupcakes
- Princess Leia cupcakes
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Strawberry cupcakes