Chocolate raspberry friands
- half a cup gluten-free plain flour
- 1 and a half cups icing sugar
- 1 cup almond meal
- 6 egg whites
- 180g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- half a cup choc chips
- 1 cup raspberries
Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 12-hole friand tin (or use a regular muffin or deep cupcake pan). Sift plain flour and icing sugar into a mixing bowl, stir in almond meal.
Make a well in the centre and add egg whites, butter and vanilla, then stir well to combine. Spoon mixture into tin, filling each hole two-thirds full, then sprinkle tops with choc chips and raspberries.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you are preparing these friands as gifts for friends (personally, I cant bear to part with them), wrap in a square of brown paper and tie with kitchen string.
- Friands can be prepared in advance, sealed in resealable bags and frozen until Easter.
- What to do with six egg yolks? Will keep covered in the fridge for a few days; add to scrambled eggs, omelettes, custard.