Chocolate self-saucing pudding
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- half a cup castor sugar
- 50g butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 100g dark cooking chocolate, chopped into pieces
- half a cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 180C then grease a 18 cm pudding bowl.
Sift flour and cocoa together in medium bowl.
Add the sugar, melted butter and milk and mix until smooth.
Add chopped chocolate, fold through then pour into the greased dish.
For the topping:
Pour the boiled water over sugar and cocoa, mix to combine then pour the topping mixture over the top of the pudding mixture.
Place in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Leave to rest for 5 minutes then serve with thickened cream or ice cream.
- When we were on a very strict budget I use to make this as a weekly treat (minus the chopped chocolate) and it always lifted our spirits.
- You can also make this as individual puddings, just reduce the cooking time by about 10-14 minutes.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealands best recipe finder.