- 500g ricotta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup spinach, finely sliced
- 1 cup rocket, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, shredded
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 250g filo pastry
- 125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
Preheat oven to 220°C conventional (200°C fan-forced). Combine the cheese, garlic, greens and egg in a large bowl. Season well and set aside.
Brush a 26-28cm spring-form cake tin with olive oil. Unroll pastry and lay a sheet on the bench in front of you. Brush it with oil, then top with another sheet and brush that with oil. Place into the cake tin leaving a third of the length hanging over the edge. Continue with more sheets, overlapping them until the tin is completely lined. You can halve the sheets lengthwise if it makes it easier.
Spoon ricotta mixture into the pastry case and spread it out evenly. Begin folding the overhanging pastry back over the top to encase the cheese. It doesn’t need to be too tidy. Brush the top with more olive oil, then place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
Serve wedges of pie hot or at room temperature.
- A spicy tomato chutney would be a delicious accompaniment.
- This would make a great addition to a picnic spread.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, a working mum whose desire to make and bake things has grown in inverse proportion to the amount of spare time she has since her three gorgeous girls came along. Her blog is typically red.