Slow cooker beef, red wine and mushroom casserole
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 1.5kg blade steak, cubed
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp beef stock powder
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
Place the flour in a bowl, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss to combine. Add the steak and toss to coat completely.
Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown the meat quickly in batches, cooking for 2-3 minutes and tossing frequently, transferring it to the slow cooker bowl when it has browned.
Using the same frying pan, cook the onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste, stock powder and wine and cook for a further 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker bowl, add the oregano and tomato and stir to combine.
Cover with the slow cooker lid and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
When 20 minutes of cooking time remain, stir through the mushrooms.
Serve with a wide pasta such as pappardelle, mashed potato and green beans or over creamy polenta.
- Browning the meat is important for depth of flavour and to seal in the juices. Brown it in small batches so that the meat doesn’t stew instead.
- Add dried or fresh herbs of your choice to make this casserole even tastier.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find more slow cooker recipes:
- Slow cooker beef with red wine shallot gravy
- Slow cooked chicken and chorizo
- Slow cooker meatloaf
- Slow cooker chicken soup
- Slow cooker stuffed lamb shoulder
- Chicken slow cooker casserole