Vietnamese chicken salad in a box
- 1 barbecued chicken, deboned and shredded
- 2 cups Chinese cabbage (wombok), finely chopped
- 1cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 large carrot, peeled and very finely sliced into strips
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced into strips
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- juice of three limes
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 /3 cup roasted peanuts, finely chopped
Combine the shredded chicken, cabbage, sprouts, herbs, carrot and cucumber in a large bowl.
Combine the fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, ginger and garlic in a jar and shake to combine.åÊ Pour this over the salad and mix well.
Toss with the drained noodles, top with the peanuts and spring onions and serve. Kids seem to love this in individual noodle boxes but you could just do little bowlfuls if thatÛªs easier.
- You could add some cooked rice noodles to make this go further.
- I find that grown-ups just love this salad too, particularly with some finely diced fresh chilli.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’såÊbest recipe finder: You can follow Sophie onåÊLocal is Lovely,åÊFacebook,åÊTwitteråÊoråÊPinterest.