Creamy mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 30g butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1kg button mushrooms, wiped clean
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 2 cups (500mL) chicken or vegetable stock
- 375mL light evaporated milk, milk or cream
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chives, chopped to garnish
Melt olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes until soft, add garlic and cook for another minute.
Add mushrooms and rosemary and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until golden brown. Add stock, bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. The stock won’t cover the mushrooms, but never fear, plenty of moisture cooks out of the mushrooms.
Remove pot from heat and blend soup with a stab-mixer or in a blender. Stir in milk or cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve garnished with chives and crust bread.
- Those of you who are regular readers of my Notes (and blog) will know of my daughter’s mushroom-collecting habit. Hence the 1kg of mushrooms (4 bags) I found in my fridge this week and the need for soup.
- This is a glorious flavoured and filling soup. It is very brown looking, so do garnish with some greenery!
- Most supermarkets and grocers now stock a variety of mushrooms; use a mixture of mushrooms if you are allowed to choose them!
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.