Sunday morning breakfast at my fave cafe down the road, is always one of the highlights of my weekend. But, cha-ching – a full breakfast can set me back quite a bit. Especially if I have the kids in tow! That’s why I’ve started making my own crazy-good, cafe-style breakfasts at home.
This weekend though, it’s time for a complete break, so I’m leaving these recipes to the hubby and kids. What better morning could I ask for than a cafe-style breakfast in the comfort of my PJs, with no make-up or hairbrush required?
1. Chocolate pancakes
Fancy starting the day with something a little naughty? These chocolately rounds will satisfy anyone who wakes up with a hankering for something sweet.
- See here for the Chocolate pancakes recipe.
2. Apple pancakes
If you like your pancakes a little fruitier, this apple and cinnamon version will fit the bill very nicely. You’ll be back for seconds, so be warned.
- See here for the Apple and cinnamon pancakes recipe.
3. Ricotta pancakes with honeycomb butter
Not withstanding the delicious butter topping, these pancakes are entirely sugar-free, which makes them ideal for the little people in your life.
- See here for the Ricotta pancakes with honeycomb butter recipe.
4. Coconut flour pancakes
Got food allergies at your place? This recipe is fab for those that need to steer clear of wheat or dairy – without compromising on taste or texture!
- See here for the Coconut flour pancakes recipe.
5. French crepes with berries
Great for a celebratory breakfast, or whenever you’re in the mood for a brekkie dish that’s a little bit more special than the norm.
- See here for the French crepes with berries recipe.
6. Bacon and egg cups
Take two bog-standard breakfast ingredients and turn them into something quite unique. Gorgeous to look at and more even more gorgeous to eat!
- See here for the Bacon and egg cups recipe.
7. Green eggs and ham
If your kids are reluctant breakfast eaters, perhaps Dr. Seuss can help! Aptly named after one of the writer’s most famous stories, this brekkie will prove irresistible.
- See here for the Green eggs and ham recipe.
8. Breakfast burritos
Sometimes you need to eat brekkie on the go, and this recipe is both filling and full of breakfast goodness. It’s the ultimate morning sandwich.
- See here for the Breakfast burritos recipe.
9. Eggs in a frame
For a fun kids’ brekkie that will turn your little ones into obsessive egg-eaters, try this fried eggy delight. It’s much easier to make than it looks.
- See here for the Eggs in a frame recipe.
10. Spicy Spanish eggs
This spicy dish of poached eggs in a fragrant tomato salsa, is the quintessential winter breakfast. Best served with chunks of your favourite bread.
- See here for the Spicy Spanish eggs recipe.
11. Smoked salmon and caramelised onion omelette
Inject some luxury into your omelette, for a morning feed you’ll want every day of the week. Delicious!
- See here for the Smoked salmon and caramelised onion omelette recipe.
Breakfast in a bowl
12. Blueberry overnight oats
Always strapped for time in the mornings? Prepare this yummy breakfast the night before for a wake-up call you’ll appreciate.
- See here for the Blueberry overnight oats recipe.
13. Baked cinnamon apple porridge
Nothing is quite as comforting as bowl of this creamy porridge. When this is on the menu, chilly mornings are more than welcome.
- See here for the Baked cinnamon apple porridge recipe.
14. Raspberry and coconut smoothie bowl
Part smoothie, part cereal – this hybrid brekkie will keep you going until lunchtime. Destined to become a family favourite.
- See here for the Raspberry and coconut smoothie bowl recipe
15. Rice cooker quinoa porridge
Forget standing at the stove and stirring your porridge, just pull out the rice cooker and let it do all the hard work for you. Easy and yum!
- See here for the Rice cooker quinoa porridge recipe.
16. Coconut oil granola
The smell alone will make you salivate. All the trendy cafes have coconut oil on the menu, and now you will too!
- See here for the Coconut oil granola recipe.
Breads, muffins (and other goodies)
17. French toast bake
Make a breakfast they’ll never forget, with this extremely more-ish baked French toast. With a sticky butterscotch base, you’ll be hard pressed to find a more divine brekkie dish.
- See here for the French toast bake recipe.
18. Wholemeal pear and ginger muffins
These lovely wholesome bites are packed with fibre and have a delish gentle flavour that even the kids will love.
- See here for the Wholemeal pear and ginger muffins recipe.
19. 3 ingredient Nutella croissants
For a cheat’s way to make the most melt-in-your-mouth homemade “croissants”, this recipe is the business!
- See here for the 3 ingredient Nutella croissants recipe.
21. Baked oatmeal cups
These novel little breakfast cups are designed to look like muffins, but you pour milk or cream over them before eating. Yum!
- See here for the Baked oatmeal cups recipe.
22. Teddy bear toast
Fussy tots will suddenly eat their breakfast with new found gusto, when they see this cute plate in front of them. You can thank us later.
- See here for the Teddy bear toast recipe.
23. Pan-fried banana and Nutella sandwich
We’re certainly not suggesting you eat this every weekend, but once in a while it’s a super-duper treat that will leave you smacking you lips.
- See here for the Pan-fried banana and Nutella sandwich recipe
24. Breakfast bars
Those who aren’t fans of traditional breakfast fare will really appreciate the brilliance of this tasty and nutritious brekkie slice.
- See here for the Breakfast bars recipe.
If your dream breakfast involves sweet, crispy, homemade pastries, then this recipe is just what the doctor ordered.
- See here for the Palmiers recipe
26. Tomato and ricotta breakfast bread
You’ll never tire of this flavour-packed bake. Mix it up a little, and try other fillings according to what you feel like on the day. We love a versatile recipe!
- See here for the Tomato and ricotta breakfast bread recipe.
27. Walnut loaf with apple butter
This amazing loaf will rival anything you can order in the ritziest breakfast joint, and you can serve it straight from your own oven. Bliss!
- See here for the Walnut loaf with apple butter recipe.
Spreads and sides
28. Homemade baked beans
Forget the store-bought variety, learn to make your own baked beans at home and you’ll never feel the need to eat breakfast out ever again!
- See here for the Homemade baked beans recipe.
29. Strawberry chia fridge jame
Spread onto a slice of toast, there’s nothing quite as satisfying as a lovely homemade fruity condiment. Pop it in a pretty jar and it tastes even better!
- See here for the Strawberry chia fridge jam recipe.
30. Strawberry yoghurt with crunchy bits
Here’s how to beef up a serve of plain, natural yoghurt into a cafe-worthy main course. It’s a brilliant brekkie for those who aren’t keen on hot meals in the morning.
- See here for the Strawberry yoghurt with crunchy bits recipe.
31. Hash browns
No breakfast fry-up is ever complete without a side of crunchy potato cakes. Add whatever herbs you like to make them that little bit more gourmet.
- See here for the Hash browns recipe.
32. Lemon butter
This OMG spread is one of life’s simple pleasures. Smear it on hot buttered toast for a breakfast you will never be able to refuse.
- See here for the Lemon butter recipe.
33. Maple poached pears
Pop these peaches on top of a stack of pancakes, on your cereal or porridge, or eat them with a dollop of yoghurt. There’s always a belly-filling way to put this recipe to good use.
- See here for the Maple poached pears recipe.
34. Homemade almond butter
You’ll be knocked over by the amazing smell as you prepare this spread, and will be equally as delighted with your first taste.
- See here for the Homemade almond butter recipe.
35. Sunshine breakfast smoothie
This smooth as silk drinkable brekkie will transport you to a tropical island destination. Do yourself a favour, and try it ASAP!
- See here for the Sunshine breakfast smoothie recipe.
36. Red velvet smoothie
This velvety smoothie has all the nutritional benefits of beetroot, banana, and berries.
- See here for the Red velvet smoothie recipe.
37. Minty carrot, apple and ginger juice
This amazing pick-me-up juice will ensure your morning starts with a vitamin-infused bang. Better than anything you’ll order from any juice bar on the planet!
- See here for the Minty carrot, apple and ginger juice recipe.
38. Strawberry quinoa smoothie
Put this on the brekkie menu at home, and you’ll be right up there with one of the hottest foodie trends of the moment. Quinoa – the superfood that everyone’s going bananas about.
- See here for the Strawberry quinoa smoothie recipe.
39. Fruit juice slushies
These homemade fruit juice slushies have all the fun and flavour of the shop-bought varieties without any of the chemical nasties. Get slurping!
- See here for the Fruit juice slushies recipe.
40. Raspberry and peach smoothie
Full of tart raspberries, fresh peach, creamy light yoghurt and warm vanilla, its not a yummy sensation, its healthy and wont hurt the diet. What more could you want in a drink?
- See here for Raspberry and peach smoothie recipe.
This article was written for Kidspot New Zealand.