Lemony fish bites
- 1kg boneless fresh white fish
- 1/3 cup plain flour (gluten-free)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup bread crumbs (gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
Slice the fish into 20 bites – about 2cm x 3cm. Place the flour in a bowl. Break eggs into another bowl and whisk to combine. Combine the crumbs and lemon rind in a third bowl. Place a fish finger in the flour bowl and cover well, dust off any excess. Dip the flour-coated fish bites in egg and then in the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat for remaining fish bites.
Cover the base of a large frypan with oil and heat over high heat. Cook fish bites for 3-4 minutes each side until golden brown. I usually cook two batches. Drain on paper towel and serve immediately.
- For partying purposes, prepare these in advance and freeze (as long as you are using fresh fish). Then fry in batches or cook in the oven at 210°C for 10-15 minutes.
- My 3yo daughter loves helping make these –fingers (and kitchen) all covered in flour, egg sloshed everywhere and her fingers beautifully crumbed by the end of the process. Great fun!
- Make these gluten-free using gluten-free flour and bread crumbs. I use poor unloved gluten free bread crusts (whizzed in the processor) or packaged gluten-free crumbs.