Mac and cheese
- 400g macaroni
- 3/4 cup green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 50g butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- half a cup parmesan cheese, grated
Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook pasta following packet directions. Halfway through cooking the pasta, add green beans to the cooking water.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan.
Once butter is melted add flour, while constantly stirring.
Gradually add milk and begin whisking to prevent lumps.
Once all the milk is added, reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Add mustard and adjust seasoning then remove from the heat.
Strain pasta and beans and add to the sauce followed by the cheeses.
Fold to combine and serve.
- A classic dish that can be made so many different ways – this is my familys favorite.
- Adding more than once cheese makes this a little more interesting for kids and adults alike.
- Adding a touch of mustard introduces your kids to another mild flavour they might not otherwise be willing to try.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealands best recipe finder.