Mushroom ragout with creamy polenta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 500g brown mushrooms
- 2 tsp chopped rosemary
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup (250ml) light or no-fat milk
- 3 cups (750ml) stock
- 1 cup soft polenta
- 2 tsp butter
Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan on low heat and add onion and garlic with a pinch of salt.
Cook for 3-4 minutes until onion is softened before adding mushrooms and rosemary.
Raise the heat to medium-high and cook for 5-6 minutes until mushrooms are cooked.
Add stock, tomato paste and a good grind of pepper and simmer for 10-15 minutes until fragrant and liquid has been reduced by half.
Stir through parsley and serve on polenta.
To make polenta:
Bring milk and stock to a boil in a medium saucepan.
Once boiling, whisk in polenta until well incorporated and thick.
Whisk in butter and serve immediately with ragu.
- Want to mix it up a little? Use a variety of mushroom types for added zing.
- Make sure you get the whisk right in when you are mixing the polenta. You want it to be smooth and creamy.