Potato, bacon and egg pies
- 2 sheets of store-bought short crust pastry, thawed
- 2 large potatoes, peeled
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) cream
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 100g bacon, cut into thin strips
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced) . Roll out the pastry until you have a large square, about 5mm thick. Cut out 10 rounds to fit the moulds in a 1-cup capacity muffin tray. Gently press the rounds into each mould and place in the fridge to chill.
Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a saucepan of cold water on high heat and bring to the boil. Cook until the potato is tender, drain then cut into dice. Whisk the eggs, cream, spring onions and mustard together then season to taste.
Cook bacon in a small frying pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until light golden. Drain on paper towel and set aside for the moment.
Remove the extra pastry from the fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface. Cut it into thin strips (about 1cm wide).
Then remove the pastry-lined muffin tray from your fridge and scatter the bacon and potato over its base. Pour over the cream mixture and pop them in the preheated oven to cook for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
Serve with a green salad.
Find related pie recipes
- Baby lamb balti pies
- Bacon and egg pies
- Beef and onion pie
- Beef Bourguignon Pies
- Breakfast pie
- Cheaty chicken pies
- Chicken and corn pie
- Chicken and vegetable pie
- Chicken party pies
- Chicken pie
- Chicken shepherd's pie
- Cottage pie
- This can also be made into one large tin. In this case I usually use a deep-sided 24cm loose-bottomed tart shell. But don’t worry too much about the size of tin you have; if yours is shallow or deeper than this one pictured, just adjust the amount of eggs, cream and milk accordingly. This recipe really is very flexible and doesn’t mind being bent into shape a bit!
- Add a cup of frozen or fresh peas for extra colour, flavour and nutrition.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.