Banana and apple bread
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 120g butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or essence
- 1 ¼ cup bananas, mashed
- 1 x 400g tin pie apples, chopped
Preheat the oven to 180°C /160° fan-forced. Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and mixed spice.
In a medium bowl, combine the butter, eggs, orange juice, vanilla, bananas and pie apples.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and fold until all ingredients are just moist.
Pour into prepared loaf pan and cook for 55-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Leave to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to further cool.
- You can cook your own apples if you like, but I used pie apples for convenience.
- If you like it really spicy, you can double the cinnamon and mixed spice in this recipe.
- Ripe bananas have a much better flavour for cakes and breads; the sugar content is lessened and the flavour is better.
Find related banana recipes
- Banana and chocolate parcels
- Banana biscuits
- Banana pancakes with caramel sauce
- Pan-fried banana and nutella sandwich
- Mini banana muffins with cream cheese topping
- Chocolate banana cake
- Banana and apple bread
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.