Bread and butter cucumbers
- 1.2kg cucumbers, sliced into 5mm thickness slices, no ends included
- 400g white or spring onions, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup of non-iodised salt
- 1 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp celery salt
- 1tsp cinnamon or the end off a cinnamon stick
- half a tsp allspice
- 6 cloves, whole
- half a tsp turmeric
In a large container, mix the cucumber and onion and salt. Put into the fridge for 1 hour.
Mix remaining ingredients in a large pot and bring to the boil until sugar is dissolved.
Mix in the cucumbers, onions and salt, slowly bring up to a boil and then store in jars in the fridge.
- Using non-iodised salt is important as this will discolour the pickles.
- I used a large casserole dish to make this recipe and it was perfect.
- If you want to store these as preserves or give as gifts, sterilise your preserve jars by boiling in hot water (rubber seals off of course!) for 10 minutes, then dry in oven on a tea towel upon baking tray in a 110C oven for 15 minutes. Place the hot cucumbers into the jar and seal immediately.
- When I was little, my grandfather used to make these in huge quantities and when cucumbers were in season, I would look forward to devouring my very own Maxwell House coffee jar volume (I reckon at least a litre!) which I would eat almost half of before we’d even got home. It’s a very fond memory.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealands best recipe finder.
Related salad recipes
- Pasta salad
- Asian salmon salad recipe
- Goats cheese and polenta salad
- Chicken and avocado salad recipe
- Chicken and mango salad
- Chicken and cranberry waldorf salad