Carrot, walnut and lentil salad
- 1 1/2 cup French green lentils
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
Rinse the lentils and drain, place in a large saucepan and cover with water so it is 3cm above the lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
While the lentils are cooking, make the dressing by placing all ingredients in a jar. Shake vigorously to combine. Drain and set aside.
Once the lentils have cooled, add to the remaining ingredients, toss through the dressing and mix well.
Find related healthy dinner recipes
- Fish in foil
- Pan-fried lamb salad
- Vietnamese rice paper rolls
- Turkey and mango parcels
- Spring lamb with dukkah yoghurt
- Vegetable tagine with couscous
- Creamy low-fat custard
- Healthy roast lamb
- Beer can chicken
- Tom yum soup
- Chicken in Oyster sauce stirfry
- Check the lentils towards the end of their stovetop simmer to make sure they aren’t turning to mush – you want them to be firm and ‘al dente’.
- I am possibly a little heavy-handed with the Dijon, just because it’s my favourite dressing so feel free to knock it back to 1 tbsp if you are a little less enthusiastic about this ingredient!
- Some crumbled feta or goat’s cheese would jazz it up nicely for a sunny picnic, as would some steamed spring beans or asparagus spears.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.