Chicken haloumi burgers
- 500g chicken mince
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 100g haloumi, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp oregano, chopped
- 1/2 cup (45g) breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
To make the burgers:
- 6 small bread rolls
- tomato, spinach, cucumber, etc.
Step 1. In a large bowl, combine all the patty ingredients except the oil. Use clean hands to mix well. Add more breadcrumbs if the mixture seems too wet. Season well.
Step 2. Form mixture into six patties. Refrigerate until you are ready to cook.
Step 3. Heat oil in a large frypan or on a barbecue plate. Cook patties for 5-6 minutes each side over a gentle heat. Check to ensure they are cooked through.
Step 4. Cut bread rolls in half. Fill with salad ingredients and cooked chicken and haloumi patties. Serve with tomato sauce or chutney.
- Boost the vegetable content with some finely grated zucchini or sweet potato as well.
- Ensure you cook the patties over a very gentle heat so that you dont end up with a burnt outside and raw centre.
- If you are looking for a meat-free alternative you can make these delicious Mushroom pesto burgers for the family.
- If you are looking for a tiny burger for small hands then these Mini burgers are perfect.
- You can barbecue these Mini lamb burgers for your next birthday party.
- If you want to skip the beef then these Satay chicken burgers are a great alternative.
- Coucous is the main ingredient in these Vegetarian burgers with couscous.
- You can feed the grown ups these tasty Spring lamb burgers.
- You can give your burgers a tasty Mexican twist with these Tex-Mex bean burgers.
- If you love cheese then these Cheeseburgers are the perfect burger.
- You can make these Double burgers if you love your burgers extra meaty.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder by Greer Worsley