Chickpea and bacon bruschetta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 150g bacon, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 400g tin chickpeas
- 1/2 bunch silverbeet, stems removed and leaves shredded
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stalk rosemary
- 500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 100g soft feta cheese
Heat oil in a large frypan over gentle heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes until soft. Add bacon and cook for a further 3 minutes. Add garlic and stir well. Drain and rinse chickpeas then add to the frypan with the silverbeet, herbs and stock. Allow to simmer very gently for 10 minutes, adding more stock or water if it gets too dry.
Toast or grill bread. Spread each slice with a little of the cheese. Top with a big spoonful of the chickpea mixture.
Drizzle with some good quality olive oil to serve.
Find related chickpea recipes
- Chickpea dip
- Chickpea salad
- Chickpeas with chorizo
- Chunky vegetable soup with chickpeas
- Curried chickpeas
- Tomato and basil hummus dip
- Hummus with toasty dippers
- Lamb and chickpea balls
- Pork and chickpea tortilla
- Pumpkin feta & chickpea salad
- Spicy chickpea meatballs and sauce
- Summery chickpea salad
- Warm Lamb Salad with Pea and Feta Hummus
- Use a wooden spoon to crush up some of the chickpeas as they cook, leaving about half whole to add textural interest.
- You could use spinach instead of silverbeet, but it doesn't require as much cooking – add it to the frypan prior to serving so that it just wilts.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.